Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pet Names (Part Deux): Hi, My Name is Poodle Pants

A couple days ago I discussed pet names that couples have for one another. Well, my mother just sent James a message on Facebook (tangent: isn't it kind of scary to have tech savvy parents?) that read: 

"You probably know that I'm leaving Friday for Paris. Can't wait to see my Precious Poodle Pants! Just wanted to say hi and it will be nice to see you around again. Hope all is well with you." [Emphasis added].

Yes, I am Poodle Pants. Clearly, this was done in a bid to embarrass me, but I'm beyond that. I think it's hilarious. But it brings up an interesting question. 

Your parents probably spent hours agonizing over the perfect name for you. But, if they're anything like mine, they rarely call you by it (save times when they're angry. Then it's Jillian Marie...!). Why is that? The world may never know. 

My dad is actually the one who usually calls me Poodle. My dear mother's nickname for me? Mildred, sometimes shortened to Millie. Why? No one knows, not even her. It's been going on so long that I respond to that just as quickly as I respond to Jillian. Kinda funny, huh. 

Alright, moment of truth. What nicknames do your parents have for you? (Come on, even the embarrassing ones). Any interesting stories there? 

4 comments:

IfiHadaHammer said...

My mom calls us all by our first name with the addition of George as our made up middle name. Katharine George, Matthew George, Jonathan George. I feel ya Mildred.

The Old Life said...

ooo Poodle Pants is a pretty good one!

Little Mama often calls me Sweetie-Kins
My Husband often calls me Cutie Pants, Goobensfinkle (now that's weird)
and dad, well, he just calls me Ash

wish I had a good juicy story for you!!! Darn!

ooo and PS I want to be in Paris *sigh*

Cari said...

hmmm my cousin as a baby called me caca... which I think is shit in spanish. xo Cari http://isnotfashion.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

that is funny you remember that! but now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure i tried to have perfect handwriting beginning in kindergarten. you know what i remembered the other day...some type of bible study your mom did with us at your house? and i did a reindeer cross-stitch for my dad there? haha i couldn't remember exactly why, but it was fun!

Post a Comment