Saturday, May 16, 2009

Interior Design Inspiration: The MoMA Store

It's hard for me to describe my decorating style.  I like things that are modern, but not sterile. Classic, but home-y. Today, while doing some online window shopping, I stumbled across some stuff at the MoMA store that I just love. 


I absolutely adore this dry-erase wall clock. Not to put anywhere that guests usually are, like the living room -- but to organize my life somewhere like the kitchen or by my desk. I can write down my work schedule, James' work schedule (his changes almost daily), pressing appointments, etc. The only downside is that this beauty is $135. I showed the link to James earlier today, and SURPRISE he said he can make one, apparently for a fraction of the cost. My guy is so handy. His words: "A piece of wood: $4. The paint: $20. Clock parts: $10 - $15. The look on my girlfriend's face: priceless." Cheesy, and adorable. And yes, whiteboard paint, along with chalkboard paint, actually exists. 

Next, there's: 


Magnetic vases. You put little metal plates under your table cloth, and the vases stand up like magic! Well, not quite like magic, but they're pretty neat, no? These are $45 for a set of 5, but I stumbled upon a DIY video. Seems a bit labor-intensive for me, and the materials would cost about $25, so I might shell out the extra dough just for the convenience. Unless, of course, James wants to make these too...haha. Showed these to my friend Holly. She said I'm going to be an "amazing hostess." Is it weird or wrong that I kind of want to be Stepford-ish in that way? Like Bree Hodge?

Finally, theres: 

A chalkboard bud vase! How cute is that? You can draw whatever design you want...write down some reminders (that's becoming sort of a theme with me, isn't it? I do indeed like to write myself some notes. Maybe I should get control of that before I go all Guy Pearce in Memento). To my lament, this one is $75. $75! I am coming up with some DIYs ideas for this though, so I'll keep you posted. Because even I, the queen of spending, cannot justify that. 

I'm curious, how would you describe your interior design taste? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool stuff! i love chalkboard paint. i'd say my style is vintage with touches of modern.

The Old Life said...

oooo I love! Your blog is lovely too! I added it to my favorites on my side bar, hopefully you'll get some more clicks :)

I think my design taste would be eclectic modern Victorian...maybe post modern industrial...hmmm so many choices.

PS you could totally DIY all those! I bet you could!

Love,
Ashley, the busy Bee

Post a Comment