Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pet Names: The Adventures of Cupcake and Batman

Couples often have the endearing (or annoying) habit by calling their S.O. by a cutesy name. Sure, honey, baby, and pookie bear work just fine...but I'm more interested in the ones that have a bit of a story behind them. For example. Ones of James' coworkers calls her husband "Sexy Muffin" -- if/when I meet them I'm gonna have to know what that's all about. 

James calls me Cupcake. This all started as an inside joke with a separate group of friends which, being an inside joke, is difficult to explain. Suffice it to say that "awkward muffin" was our catchphrase. Now James, not being in on this joke, but having heard of it, sent me a text one day before we were dating that said, "awkward cupcake." Confused by this, I sent one back. "...are you calling me cupcake?" Turns out no, he wasn't. But he started to, and the name stuck. 

Imagine my delight when I got off a very long flight from Paris back to my hometown to see James waiting at the airport with a sign that read "Cupcake." As I walked toward him, he flipped the sign over. It also said "cupcake," with an arrow pointing down. This arrow was pointing toward...drumroll, please...a Tiffany's box. And inside that box was: 

Yep, my Batman is pretty amazing. I call him Batman because when we first started hanging out (and honestly, to this day) I had the habit of expressing surprise by saying, "Holy (insert something here) Batman!" Like, it's snowing and freezing cold? "Holy cold Batman!" Well, playing off the earlier text-versation in which I thought he was calling me cupcake, he asked if I was calling him Batman. Again, I wasn't, but I decided to start. 

So I'm curious, what are your thoughts on pet names? Cute/annoying? Do you have any? What are some of the craziest ones you've heard? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment